Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dog Food

I started making Duke's food myself.  It is one of my new cost cutter ventures.  Now if your dog eats regular dry dog food or if you have multiple dogs I don't know that this would save you very much money, but it is healthier for your dog.  Duke is spoiled and we were not only buying dry dog food, but canned food as well and it wasn't outrageous, but it was more expensive than what we are doing now.  Every penny counts right?  My mom and dad use this recipe and they got it from one of my mom's sisters.  The dogs LOVE it!!!  The grocery list is as follows:

  • 1 leek
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 large (softball size) turnip or 2 smaller turnips (you can also use radichios if choose)
  • 1 large parsnip or 2 small parsnips
  • 1 large sweet potato or yam
  • 4 large white potatoes
  • 1 whole chicken - I buy the fryer twin packs for 88 cents a lb
  • 3 cups rice - you can use white, brown or red.  The brown and red hold up longer than the white
  • cottage cheese
Boil your chicken for 1 hr.  Take out of the water and let sit to cool. 
Then wash and cut all your veggies.  I recommend starting with the stouter veggies first - the carrots, turnip, parsnip and leek.

  Put them into a pot of water ( I used the water I boiled the chicken in, might as well make chicken stock while I am at it right? ), while you are waiting for it to come to a boil cut up your potatoes and add them in.  Bring just to a boil then turn the water off.  Let sit for a few minutes then drain. 
Allow veggies to cool.  Cook 3 cups of rice.  Once your chicken is cool enough you can pull it apart and shred it.  I bag everything seperately so it will stay longer and not become mushy.  Put everything in the fridge and when it is time to feed the dog just put a 1/2 cup veggies and a 1/4 cup of everything else into a bowl, mix it together and serve.  This recipe is enough food for a little over 2 wks, 2 feedings a day for our dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment