Thursday, April 8, 2010

Saving Money

So I am finally going to start making my own cleaners.  No more trips to Target to buy cleaning supplies for the house!  Not only will it rid my home of the chemicals, but it will save my family money.  We have switched so much of our lifestyle over to all natural and organice processes, but not the cleaning aspect.  It is probably the most simple and least expensive yet it has not been done.  I was cleaning the other day and was armed with my gloves and had the windows open to vent the room I was cleaning to reduce the inhalation of the chemicals and it hit me.  WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MY FAMILY?  If I have to cover my hands and air out the room due to the products I am using then something is obviously not safe.  DUH!  So no more expensive and toxic cleaners for this family!  I will also start making our own laundry detergent and NO MORE FABRIC SOFTNER!  Have you read what's in that?  We will use vinegar instead.  We will be using vinegar, water, baking soda and lemon juice to do our cleaning.  A quick trip to the Dollar Tree to buy a few spray bottles and we are on our way. 
I will also no longer be using plastic bags to store food or to pack components of my kids lunches.  I pack 3 lunches 5 days a week.  Sandwiches are put in a sandwich bag, fruits and other snacks are put into smaller bags.  At least that's how it used to be.  From now on all food will be put into a tupperware. 
I will, in the near future, try my hand at making our own soaps, shampoos and conditioners.  After calculating what I spend a year on all of these items I will be saving our family about $1500 a year.  And if my garden takes off like I hope then we will save even more on the grocery end. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment